View Single Post
      04-24-2013, 11:31 PM   #23
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotios335i View Post
The mppk really is an awesome upgrade. Worth every penny and its REAL power, nevermind this 20hp crap. My car with the sport auto and power kit feels as fast as my Procede n54. I wish others could test drive a car like mine and see what I mean. I think a lot of people are going to miss out on this awesome tune because of advertised numbers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roundel335 View Post
My MPPK cost $935, install was $135 (software only - I did the engine cover/intake updates myself). Huge power difference, way more than the advertised 20HP.
The advertised power gains are laughably conservative.

The advertised crank numbers for the original Dinan Stage 2 software flash were as follows: 384 horsepower and 421 lb-ft of torque.

I had the Dinan Stage 2 flash on both my '07 335i sedan and my '10 M Sport LCI 335i Sedan. Both cars had the N54 motor.

I can confidently assert that my M Performance Power Kit-equipped F30 M Sport 335i feels every bit as strong as my old Dinan-tuned N54 335i sedans. One difference is that the BMW tune feels a bit smoother and more refined. To me, that says a lot because I absolutely loved my Dinan Stage 2 flash. I enjoyed the Dinan Stage 2 software so much that I paid for it twice because both of those cars were leases.

Side Note:

Now that there are multiple tuning options available for the F30 (and there certainly will be more rolling out in the coming months), there will be an increase in debate and discussion regarding the merits of each tune.

We absolutely want to see thoughtful, lively, and in-depth debate regarding the various tunes that are available for either the N55 or the N20. That's what the N55 Turbo Engine/Drivetrain/Exhaust Modification sub-forum is for, after all.

That said, there will NOT be a repeat of the tuner wars that occurred back in '07 when the N54 made its much-heralded debut. People have different wants/needs when it comes to choosing a tune. Some people want maximum power, some are more risk averse and are content with less power (knowing that there is absolutely no possibility of any warranty hassle), and some people are willing to pay $X whereas others will only shell out $Y . . .

Bottom line: You can have a difference of opinion regarding the available tunes. And you can openly express that opinion.

Just respect another man's choice. You're simply not going to convince someone that your tune is better and that his is worse because ultimately, what is better is subjective. Impossible you say? How can you argue with dyno runs and slip times? "That's hard data and the numbers don't lie!"

My response: It's simply not solely about the numbers. As I've made clear, other considerations, aside from raw data, contribute significantly to someone's choice of tune.

I've stated elsewhere that the only track my car will ever see has left and right turns. My car will see some time as a daily driver, too. I don't need to be the fastest car on the road because the fact of the matter is, there is always someone faster.

Carry on.
Gone: '18 W205 C43 Sedan
Gone: '13 W204 C63 Sedan
Appreciate 0