08-02-2012, 12:46 PM   #189
Tim_78
Duke
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpa74 View Post
I have a March 2012 build F30 Sportline. I took delivery in June and had the steering vibration issue at 40-60 mph.

Took it to my local BMW dealer. Had shop foreman test drive with me to confirm. Rebalanced all four tires and problem is gone.

I have over 4,000 miles on my car with no vibration whatsoever. Averaging 29.8 mpg in 70% city and 30% highway driving. I love my F30!

Before you dismiss the entire F30 line, first, do your due diligence and check out the most common problem causing slight steering wheel vibration, which is tire imbalance. I think 9 out of 10 times the vibration should be fixed with a good road force balancing.

I suspect the BMW processing center did not balance the tires as I did not see any balancing weights prior to taking it to my dealer.

So, it is a simple fix, at least for me. Let's be reasonable.

What's next on the complaint list? I'm waiting for someone to point out that the F30 exhaust doesn't smell fresh. I urge that person to smell their own ass first.
I would love it to be a balancing issue but it is not. I already took the car to service and they spent 3 hours to figure out the problem, then they performed road force test and balanced all 4. Problem still exists, even gotten worse. The sad part is BMW says this wobbling is normal. Yes normal for a 1984 e30 with bald tires, not a brand new f30. My e46 and e90 both performed great but this f30 is disappointing. Sheer driving pleasure, not so much!