View Single Post
      05-21-2013, 05:42 AM   #1
topcat87
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F30

BMW F30 3-series Brake Failure

I thought my experience was an isolated incident and hope it doesnt happen again, but the rise in occurrence by fellow forumers leads me to think that this is a real cause for concern and might be a factory defect in our cars

Known Cases of brake failure

I personally experienced this, while creeping foward in a carpark exit i stepped on the brakes but it was rock hard and didnt respond. Luckily it was an upslope and gravity stopped the car before i rear ended the guy in front

Serious but non-fatal accident
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90bedi View Post
I went in to give my e90 for servicing and they gave me a f30 328i with just 47 miles as a loaner. i was driving down a hill and naturally i started braking for the stop sign. and i realized that the car wasn't slowing down. i tried to pump the brakes. and that did not help that much. i put the car in manual and tried down shifting but that didnt help much. the car gradually picked up speed from 25 mph to 45. and my last resort was the handbrake. i pulled it as hard as a could and tried to slide the car to prepare for impact that way it wouldnt injure me as much. the car is totaled. Has anyone else experience something like this? I am very surprised to see that on a brand new f30 the brakes would act like this. Any comments would be appreciated thanks!
Other cases
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarplayax View Post
I'm having the same problem. The car is a day old, with 81 miles on it. With the brakes depressed 100%, the car feels like I'm not even pressing on the brakes. I'm extremely worried and I can't drive it at all right now. Any recommendations? This is my first BMW, and I'm almost started to regret my purchase.
Quote:
Originally Posted by renegadeavenger View Post
This same thing is happening to a new 2013 BMW 328XI that was purchased last wednesday. Brake failed twice and no one has any idea why it is failing. I really don't trust the car anymore, it may end up leading me to a collison.
Quote:
Originally Posted by richreg3 View Post
What E90bedi and renegadeavenger said is true. My 2013 BMW XI sportline is now at the dealer waiting for replacing the vacumn pump. SA said that it is unsafe to drive anymore. He told me there is another 328 XI that has the same problem sitting there for almost a month waiting for the parts to come from Germany. I expect the same to my car. FYI, my car was also built in February and I received it two weeks ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitoco View Post
Ok, so something similar happened to me the other day and it has only happened that one time.

I was racing an E60 M5 (V10 sound was ) and I was on his tail the first 50 meters but he then quickly flew away. Anyway, I hit around 220 km/h (140) mph before trying to slow down as I had to make it onto an off-ramp. This was slightly downhill. I hit the brake pedal, NOTHING, itīs rock hard and no bite. I was already turning but quickly realized I wasnt gonna make it so a split-second decision was made and I just kept goin straight on the freeway. My speed was now around 180 km/h (110 mph) and then quickly decreasing as the car was just rolling. A few sesconds later, brake function restored. Had it bit initially I would have had no problem decelerating enough to make it, Iīve tried them before and know how good they bite. I got the Euro M Sport brakes (same as the M Performance Brakes), what do u guys have?

And another question to all of you that experienced this: Has it happened on some occasions or has it been a constant issue? To me, it happened this one time...

EDIT: And if its the cylinder-thing, would I notice anything now or can it still function properly?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sqweak View Post
My wife spent Saturday in the 328i for her first extended seat time. She told me when she got home that she was upset and distrusting of the car after the brakes acted weird on her in a parking lot. The best that she could verbalize is that they stopped working when she was in a parking lot pulling into a spot, and as a result she wasn't able to stop before the front end scraped over a parking block.

I didn't understand what she was talking about and was preoccupied this weekend at the track in my other car. This morning, I stopped for breakfast at a drive thru and experienced what must have happened to her.

While going at low speed stop and go, on two seperate occasions separated by just a few moments, the brakes completely and totally failed on me. Stepping on the pedal gave a completely rock hard pedal, with no to minimal travel at all. (There are no floor mats installed, or anything else that could be stuck under the pedal) The car slowly creeped to a stop, it was like the brakes were just barely applied. Pushing harder gave no additional travel or stopping power, neither did pumping the brakes. I almost tapped a guy ahead of me in the drive thru line when it happened the first time. The second time it happened there was nobody in front of me but it confirmed the odd behavior. After getting out of the drive thru I tried a few more stops and the behavior return to normal long pedal travel/stopping power.

I'm sure I don't have to say that this is exceptionally concerning behavior on a brand new car with less than 400 miles on it. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? I tried searching but didn't see any results that seemed to echo this symptom. I will get it into the dealer ASAP.

BMW if you're reading this . . . please do something about it and issue a recall, if necessary.

Do chime in if you have a similar incident

Last edited by topcat87; 05-22-2013 at 06:03 AM..
Appreciate 0