10-28-2012, 05:27 PM   #49
bmargolis
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeb817 View Post
Yeah, all of the magazine tests on the 328i ranged from 5.4-5.8 seconds with the AT. I don't remember seeing any with the 6MT. I'm sure there is a method to BMW's madness- similar to the under-rated horsepower figures...who knows. There are so many variables that can affect performance tests, I'm guessing a mfr is better off being as conservative as possible and advertise performance numbers that can be attained by the majority of drivers under a wide range of conditions.

Motor Trend achieved a 4.7 sec 0-60 with the 335i 8AT in this review:

And they pulled off 4.9 seconds with 335i 6MT in the S4 comparison, but I think there is something whacky with that car because the braking distance was 20% longer (131ft vs 109ft) than the video above, perhaps attributable to all season tires vs summer tires:

I think a 335i xDrive with summer tires and an M Sport package would have made a big difference here. Still a good couple of videos.

2013 335i xDrive – 6-speed, AW, M Sport Line, Cold Weather, Dymanic Handling, Premium, Technology, 403M, Black Grills, Carbon Caps, Performance Exhaust
Appreciate 0