SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdong View Post
Awesome! Congrats

Indeed as a hybrid for long highway driving there won't be much of savings. It's already good enough that having a motor sandwiched in there and lugging along a battery doesn't reduce fuel economy!

In my experience, there are a bit of highway fuel savings with the hybrid if you drive on hilly terrain. If you watch the Hybrid screen, you can see the motor assisting once in a while when going over a hill. Note that (as explained in that white paper about the AH5) that chewing up battery to run the assist on the highway is less efficient than just using the engine, so the car only does it when you have excess (>85%) charge.

Also if you are driving on hilly terrain, Eco Pro will get you 1-2mpg more on the highway thanks to the coasting mode being active at up to 100mph. I really wish this were the behavior in Comfort mode as well, as I can't feel any of the transitions anyway!

I completed a 200 mile trip yesterday at a trip computer reported 35mpg, half in comfort and half in Eco Pro.
Thanks

Yes, in Eco Pro, I often let off the gas at 75+mpg, and the motor would shut off. You cannot feel it at all! When it re-engages at those speeds, it is totally seamless.

Eco Pro may be too sluggish for city driving. I'll have to experiment more. Sport really tightens things up, without being too harsh over rough roads.
Appreciate 0