01-21-2013, 09:35 PM   #42
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by seis-speed View Post
Interesting, it is hard to find a manual to test drive, I finally found one a 2012 s4, hoping to get some saddle time in the next week. I only want to own 2 cars so this is a f30 XDrive vs S4 debate.

Were you tracking a manual?
I'll jump in here since I was in a similar position cross shopping S4 vs EB2 335ix.

The engineer in me couldn't get away from the superiority of the drivetrain in the S4. It is more or less the same as the RS5 - including the crown center differential, active sports differential (made by ZF - BMW has this *as an option* in the x6/Mx5) and DSG. The RS models have much better suspension and brakes and of course bigger engines within segments - although the V8 requires you to keep the engine at boil to hit the sweet spot of the power band (probably same thing in M3).

The electronic clutch pack that makes up the x-drive is really not a center differential - ie torque sensing - and thus only clutches power (max 50-50) to the front when either (a) it's obvious - ie launch or heavy throttle application- (b) *after* traction has been lost. I'm not saying an electronic control system can't be awesome - ie evo - but usually performance AWD vehicles use torsen or mechanical LSD's - e.g. M3 has rear LSD. BMW is not in the business of making performance AWD vehicles, it seems like more of a safety/practicality feature to help sell cars in winter weather areas. Maybe this will change with an M5xdrive?

The weight is substantially greater - S4 (DCT) 3935 (lb) - 335i (AT) xdrive 3710 (lb) - 335i (AT) 3593 (lb) - 328ix (AT) 3596 (lb) - 328i (AT) 3461 (lb) (source)- but the supercharged V6 is noticeably torquier (is that a word?) and probably makes the torque/weight ratio about even - which doesn't change things in corners of course. The 50/50 weight distribution exists in the 328i, and the n55 + xdrive throws this off. I personally can't tell, but I only took the car on some limited test drives.

EDIT - Original curb weights were incorrect, added values for 328...

My guess is that if you were to track the cars, the S4 will devour brake pads due to heft and the BMW will do the same to rear brakes due to E-Diff brake steering.

I'm not even going into exterior/interior, because everyone seems to have a different opinion and in the end it's pretty personal. There is no way one can go wrong with either car, they both seem to be at the pinnacle of the segment. Audi being part of VW Auto Group would seem to be a strength from a manufacturing perspective - drive down prices across the board - do people consider Bugatti/Ferrari/Porsche to be overpriced jetta parts?!?!

Last edited by drob23; 01-22-2013 at 10:13 AM..
Appreciate 0