10-09-2012, 01:54 PM   #25
rjberry
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i Ruby Red II

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaestroAl View Post
The reality, however, is that you WILL NOT GET VALUE from using premium fuels - only use it if your car NEEDS it. I don't care if you get another 10bhp or whatever but it just ain't worth it. BP Ultimate is literally 10p per litre more than BP normal! That's what, £6? (I don't know how big the F30 tank is) Well that's about a gallon of fuel. Does it really give you 50 miles extra mileage? Is 10bhp (in a diesel!) really any difference at all? It's madness I tells ye
Well, I think that settles it for me

When I filled up with the super diesel I had the fuel reserve message on. I thought the F30 diesel had a 57 litre tank but the last time I only managed to squeeze 49.4 litres in before the clunk. The last time it was 153.9 per litre compared to 143.9 for regular diesel. Just under £5 extra.

So far I haven't noticed any great increase in mpg, it may be 1-2mpg higher but seeing as I've paid the extra £5 I don't think I've got a good return there. The car does seem to be smoother now but maybe that's just the placebo effect or my wallet trying to convince me it wasn't all bad

I don't mind paying a couple of pence per litre more than a supermarket but an extra 10p on top of that for a negligible increase may be pushing things a bit far. All those extra fivers are better spent elsewhere