11-19-2012, 05:27 PM   #3
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rb79 View Post
After all the forum debate about tyre choice, I am thinking of investing in some winter tyres to maximise benefits of xdrive. However, I have read a few articles, one from CAR in particular, highlighting the potential dangers of using winter tyres in mild conditions going as far to say they 'pray for snow' as it can be scary if too mild.

I know it is an individual opinion, but has anyone any experience of being caught out on winter tyres because it is 'too mild'? I live in the (slightly) warmer south so perhaps xdrive on all seasons is the way forward?
Dude. Stick to summer tyres. Winter tyres are only useful for 2 days a year, maybe 3 if the weather men are to be believed this year. You've got 4WD so you don't need special tyres. I've driven my MPS through two winters on "sporty" tyres like P-Zeros and Ultracs and it's been absolutely fine in any conditions. You just don't need posh tyres on 4WD cars

Maybe if you live down country lanes where it never gets gritted and you're in a standard RWD 3 series with an auto box then maybe ... otherwise it's a con.