Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCanuck View Post
Not sure what your underlying premise is. You refer to both the cost of gas and the environment. If it's the environment, buying an EV is likely more damaging on a build to disposal scale than a similar gas powered vehicle. Since you don't say where you live, we have no idea to what extent your electrical utility is fossil fuel fired which is a significant factor in determining the overall efficacy of purported environmental benefits to EVs.

My advice below is predicated on assuming you live in a region served by an electrical utility that uses fossil fuels to generate electricity for either primary or secondary demand, and if it's coal ... it's even worse for the environment than any IC drivetrain would ever be. If, however, you live in an area served by hydro or nuclear, that changes the environmental equation significantly (habitat damage and other risks not factored in).

However, the cost of gas is a valid criteria given the length of your commute Since you're on the waiting list anyway, I might suggest waiting for the 2019 Mazda 3 and HCCI which will provide substantial gas savings and maybe better from an overall cost/leasing perspective. I would also look at conventional hybrids like the Accord Hybrid or the Hyundai Ioniq BEV before looking at a PHEV because of my views on PHEVs or EVs in general.

As for the semi-autonomous, I can't offer any comment. If it's that important, it will limit your choices and (as much as I detest Tesla as a company) lead you back to the Model 3.
Environmentalists seem to only consider a vehicles tailpipe emissions. The impact of acquisition, production, transportation, disposal, etc. is of little consequence.
If there is a benefit for the environment, I'm happy about that. However, that is not my main goal with driving an electric car. I'm concerned with the other green... the green that is in my wallet.