06-09-2013, 05:54 PM   #115
Tacoma
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMWs for 30 yrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraZb View Post
Interesting thread. New the the forum here, and this among other things is one of the major questions I have to answer in my quest for the 335 I want. Lots of great opinions. Seems to me and from what I'm reading here, that the manual argument is more about feeling then true performance. But when looking at the numbers, and correct me if I'm wrong, the auto 335 is faster over all. Not trying to fan a bickering war here just trying to understand. Cheers gents,
0-60 According to BMW USA:

320i: 7.1s (man); 7.1s (auto)
328i: 5.7s (man); 5.8s (auto)
335i: 5.4s (man); 5.1s (auto)

So BMW says manual box is faster for the 328, slower for the 335 and the same for 320. In other words, the difference is negligible in real world conditions.

I have never driven an auto box where the liquid link between the engine and the drive wheels gives you the same direct connection feel of a mechanical manual clutch, and it looks like the 8sp slushbox, while better, still gives you the slushbox feel (as it should).

Given the choice of a torque converter and a manual clutch, I think I'll stay with the manual until I'm too old to care about driving feel at which time I'll probably opt for the less sporty but better comfort of a MB or Lexus.
Appreciate 0