View Single Post
      08-20-2013, 04:53 PM   #1
v1k1ng01
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M-sport

Garage List
My second round of mods (LED front blinkers, 3m wrapped black roof, M trunk spoiler)

Hey Folks,

This is my socend thread on this form, and it's a continuation of my first thread.

This past weekend I finished my first complete Clay, Polish and Wax since I picked-up my 335i from the Welt and wanted to showcase my work! All my stuff is from Griot's Garage, and the results are stunning. Griot's body and glass clay really cleans out road shyte nicely.

My first real mod since my first post were front LED Amber Turn Signal's. I used CANBUS 20 SMD LED's with built-in resistors from ExtremeBrightLED's.com for $50. The bulb cause no error's and do not hyper flash. The only issue I have noticed is an ever so slight flicker when the DTL's are running. It happens at a frequency of about once a minuet, and it's caused by a self check diagnostic function that can be coded out. I found out this also effects my rear LED turn signals but is pretty much unnoticeable during daylight unless your looking directly at it when it happens. The flicker doesn't occur when lights are set to parking or lowbeams unless you have the amber running lights coded out. The Part number you need is 7507 PY21W. I also tried similar bulbs that were 50 SMD from gtautohaus , but despite costing an extra $10, and having more then twice as many diod's as Extreme's, GT's where way dimmer and of poorer quality. Basically diod's were a 3rd the size and they were not visible in bright daylight, and dimmed to a pastel color if ran with lowbeams. Just goes to show you that the number of diod's don't mean anything when it comes to LED's. You can't contact Extreme if you ordered from them over eBay, so if you you want to contact the seller to make sure you go to their web page. Here are some pic's of Extreme's LED turn signals installed.

My next mod was a 3M wrapped gloss black roof. I picked-up 6ft X 5ft (30sq/ft) for $50 off amazon.com which didn't leave me much left over, and got and extra set of hands to help me put the wrap on. The job took 7 hours of work and cost me an additional order of Chinese food and case of beer. A special thanks to Sharper on M3post for the helping hands! The job came out good but you can see when you get up close the imperfections in the vinyl typically observed with applying 3M wrap. That said I recommend if you do 3M you pay a pro to do it for you unless you are a pro. That said I have already decided that I will eventually get a paint job done on the roof as the wrap just doesn't give the perfect glossy appearance I'm looking for. Here are pic's of the wrap job:

My final mod (for now) was an M Performance style trunk spoiler. I contemplated on getting the legit bmw part painted to match from getbmwparts.com for $390 plus shipping however, I read this thread from a member here on F30post that had a really good experience with the eBay replica painted to match for $89 total. I ended up buying from carbon.king which sells from Taiwan. They requested the color code to paint via e-mail, and shipped the part promptly following my e-mail. I'm at an APO in Germany and I got the part in one week form initial order, which mean's it would deliver to regular US addresses in under a week or less. It came super awesomely packed, painted and clear coated to the color I requested (Jet Black). The part also came with 3m double sided tape and adhesive accelerator with instructions included. Here are pics:

Well hope you have enjoyed my post, my next mod is the rest of an M Performance Aero kit and BIMMERPOST stickers. Hope to post again soon!

v1k1ng01,

Last edited by v1k1ng01; 08-25-2013 at 07:06 AM..
Appreciate 0