03-15-2013, 01:37 PM   #3
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by J2G! View Post
I have a 320d Luxury auto and the best MPG I seem to be able to achieve (according to the computer) is an average of 43-45mpg. I do a mix of town driving with a few longer runs in between. The car takes a long time to get up to full operating temeperature so maybe this is the reason for poor fuel economy?

I had an e90 320i se (pre ED model) and on similar runs I was getting 35mpg + so from a diesel I was expecting at least 50mpg

Not sure whether I need to go and get this checked out or whether this is normal?
The temperature gauge is engine oil temp, not water, so expected to take much longer. Diesels also run cooler, so again would take more time than your petrol. Not to worry though, a Diesel needs much less enrichment than a Petrol to run smooth cold.

Diesels also require a different driving style to Petrols to achieve best results, although as you have an auto, that helps bridge the gap....but if you are doing a fair amount of Stop/start driving, then your figures are probably about right. Give her a long steady run and report back
Appreciate 0