View Single Post
      08-28-2012, 03:47 PM   #10
DNN_F30
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335 M-Sport (EB)

Turns out my brake light issues were totally unrelated so let me explain in an unfortunate series of events.
1. 08/06 - Took delivery of the car, realized tail light was loose/broken, but tail lights still seemed to work. I was having too much fun driving the beauty, so I let the whole next week pass without mentioning it.
2. 08/19 - Ordered a V1 Radar Detector
3. 08/20 - Took car in to have it looked at, they said they'd have to order a whole new tail light housing to fix it. (This is the issue BMW is writing a bulletin about).
4. 08/22 - Received my V1 and in a rage of excitement, attempted to install myself into the MAP light wiring area (like the E90's) which led me to short the moonroof fuse (stupid me).
5. 08/23 - Took V1 to get installed at a pro stereo place here in town. The tech ran the wire down through to the drivers side hidden behind foot well casing and to the front fuse box located on the right hand side of the car into a 5 amp fuse which only turned on when the ignition was started. Tech also replaced 30 amp moonroof fuse and it worked like a charm. On my drive home, the brake system warning came on which I THOUGHT was related to the first issue, but it was not (read further).
6. 08/24 - Tail light housing came in. Took to dealer around 5:30 PM, left at around 6:30, and i thought my problems were solved. Driving home, same brake system warning came on.
7. 08/27 - Took my car back to BMW, left it. The following day my service adviser, calls me to tell me that the person who installed my V1 disconnected the foot brake switch (in driver's side foot well) which activates the brake light. If the foot brake switch is not properly connected, the brake lights stay on constantly, and the error "Brake System: Please drive moderately. Apply additional braking as necessary" comes on. Another indicator is that the cruise control will not come on. He told me that the normal charge for this fix was $130 bucks (1 hour of work), but he would waive the charge seeing how I just bought my car, and I already had a problem caused by BMW.

Anyway, long story short, no one is perfect. Not BMW, not the stereo tech (who forgot to reconnect the foot brake switch), and certainly not me. I hope if nothing else, that this helps someone in the future from having the same headache I've had. Going to pick my baby up in a couple of hours. Cheers everyone, and thanks for reading.