F30Andy
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: An Entire Fleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
The basics of HPAS or EPS.

Standard power steering typically has a fixed amount of assistance, hence requires more effort at low speeds and can seem too light at speed.

Servotronic is electronically controlled and speed sensitive. More assistance at low speeds, as in parking and slow manoeuvres, less assistance as speed increases, more weight/stiffness at speed.

Variable 'sport' rack as in VSS, reduces the amount of steering wheel movement off centre. Better for turns and slow speed manoeuvres, not over sensitive driving straight at speed, still retains a similar steering ratio at mid position. 'Lock to lock' uses less turns of the wheel. Add in servotronic and VSS should be the best of both worlds. Not everyone gets the 'variable cut rack' concept, even if weighting is well judged.

M3/M4 has a version of VSS as standard, so view VSS as the top end steering option.

HighlandPete
Pete thank you very much for answering my question.
Clear and concise as always.

Although VSS may be the top of the range steering option, In my personal opinion I am not a fan of it.
I had an M4 for a week quite recently and personally thought the servo steering in the 3d felt better.

Each to their own though I suppose.
Appreciate 0