View Single Post
      12-08-2012, 10:35 PM   #10
Hayir
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 328i modern line

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkW83 View Post

2: at least 7/8 are just overdrive gears, 6 may be as well (I'm not sure); so I guess - if it is the case that it doesn't go into 8th in Sport mode, haven't tested it - they figured you're likely to only want access to a limited amount of gears designed only to improve economy, while at the same time taking you further out of the power band, when wanting to drive 'sportily'
4: you can turn off the door locking at 10mph, and you can also set it to have all doors unlock when you unlock the car/driver's door; I think in iDrive
5: do you mean the High Beam Assistant? If so, the light for this (in the UK at least) is blue; I think it's a good idea that it shows you when the high beams are actually on, so you have final control as the driver, to override the system, and to know what it's doing, if you need to. Agree that, particularly if you regularly drive on dimly-lit or unlit roads, and considering the flexibility and intelligence of the system to basically be able to use it in all conditions, it would be nice to have it come in automatically without having to enable it all the time.
Thanks for the answers/comments.

2. When I look at the ratios of manual 6 and auto 8.
A8=M6
A7=M5
A6=M4
The extra 2 is not 7 and 8 really. They are in between 1 and 6.

In a manual you can do whatever you want. The auto can not read our mind and shift gears so there is a preset logic which tries to guess/estimate our demands. The tranny in sport mode does a pretty good job here, I feel like it reads my mind sometimes However, I think most manual drivers would put into 6th gear (which is equal to 8 in auto) while cruising on highway even if they are in sports mode.

4. It unlocks all the doors when I unlock drivers door via the key or comfort access. It only unlocks the driver door when I pull the interior door handle to go out.

5. It is called automatic high beams in US. Not sure if it is the same thing with High beams assist but guess it is. It turns on the high beams on a dark road automatically and turns of again if there is another car present. I am not talking about the high beam indicator. There is a green indicator with a high beam icon and letter A to show that I activated the auto high beams. The system works really great, it can be on all the time. For example there is an unlit road of half miles or so on my way to home. It comes on at that portion of the road but I have to activate it. It would be nice if I can have it on all the time.

Last edited by Hayir; 12-08-2012 at 10:49 PM..
Appreciate 0