View Single Post
      10-29-2012, 06:38 PM   #45
hans007
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprocket View Post
It's not about keeping a secret. It's about the general behavior. I find it rude.

To clarify, if it's a friend or a colleague I don't mind at all. But there are certain people to whom everything seems to be about money. No matter if you buy a new car or boat, redecorate something, go on vacation, the first response is always "Oh, nice. What did it cost?". For those people it really is not about what the thing itself costs, but rather trying to figure out how much you earn or how you could afford it. I have been asked that too. "Did you pay cash or did it go into your mortgage". I mean, seriously?

And for the record, I am sad to say I'm not a kid any more. Nor do I have issues. I don't think the BMW 328 is that special. I bought it as a family car instead of a boring Volvo since I like cars.

I'm just annoyed by people who have to affix a monetary value to both possessions and people.

people ask those questions because they want to write off the fact you got something nicer than them , as "that guy being an irresponsible fool". so they can go, well i am smart i didnt buy a BMW but im paying off my mortgage / kids whatever (also luxuries i might point out, no one needs a nicer house or kids).

that said, i usually just say somethign like. yeah it was not the best way to spend money , but other people take a lot of vacations have obligations they committed to, and i don't commit to things like mortgages / etc. well that and "i work my ass off and make good money, sucks to be you". most people know at least to me to not bug me about it or i'll tear them a new one.
Appreciate 0