07-11-2012, 01:07 PM   #20
dude987
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i xDrive M-Sport DHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmusignac View Post
Let's be smarter here. When they say its faster, its not the paddles or what you actually touch. It's the transmission shifting gears faster and more smoothly and delivering the power in a better way. I found the new F30 has a really nice sound to it too. On sport mode, every time you high rev and shift it does a super cool "gargle" sound.
Shouldn't the "faster", "smoothly" and "delivering the power in a better way" shifting result in quicker acceleration times? On the E90 335i vs. the 335is of 20 additional hp, the 0-60 times may have improved by 0.1 seconds if that. The acceleration time differences were negligible between the two. If anything might have increased, it might have been the top end speed. But even that is negligible given a difference of 20 hp (3 mph gain maybe?).

So I wonder if the "Auto Sport Transmission" adds 20 additional hp? Or maybe even 10 additional hp. Maybe for an additional $500 you are getting an additional 0.0001 second "faster" car and a set of paddles. Just saying, BMW has mastered marketing hype. If there were even a modicum of performance gains to be had, BMW would be all over it with performance numbers to back it up. Instead all they have is "hyperbole".

Just some food for thought.
Appreciate 0