05-09-2012, 01:31 PM   #78
sleedawg
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i & 2011 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
They will be only to a certain point.
Plus, what is the weight of the larger setup?
If they weight more, then unsprung weight goes up, and that negatively affects a cars performance from acceleration, to handling, to braking, to MPG.
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarence View Post
That's wht I worry abt cos the standard setup has 330mm discs whereas the M-sport has 370mm, not to mention bigger calipers.
Where's Elk when you need him?!

Negatively affecting acceleration, handling, braking, MPG.

YES to all (with the exception of braking). It's a very slight trade off. In life there is no everything gets better without a trade off.

MPG, acceleration... most people would lose more MPG and acceleration from having the weight of all the personal items kept in a car than these brakes. Are you willing to give up a .1 second or .1mpg or km/L for better braking?

In terms of handling of added weight of the heavier rotors. Having driven carbon rotors vs. steel rotors back to back on identical cars, the biggest thing you will notice is that the steering feels lighter. Heck, since most people complain about the light steering in the F30... the added weight of the larger rotors would probably be welcomed. Yes, I understand the physics behind putting more unsprung weight and the impact in lateral Gs... but seriously how many people here are approaching max Gs cornering.

In terms of braking, I'm willing to bet that these work better than the 328i setup. The caliper design, the pad, and the larger surface area all lead me to believe that these will be a vast improvement over the 328i. But this is where testing can prove you wrong. I'm waiting to see what these do in real world application. Everything right now (by everyone here) is speculation.

Now for your question about weight... the rotors are going to be much heavier. 25% thicker rotors in addition to the diameter. Considering they're probably made of the same steel... you have your answer. You could argue that they're cross drilled, but the holes would maybe negate the larger size rotors. Thus it's still about 25% larger. The caliper will probably be close to equal weight or negligible dues to the fact that the performance calipers are made of a different material.

All this is really academic. Just go and drive the car.
Appreciate 0