View Single Post
      07-22-2012, 01:39 AM   #164
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 328inGE View Post
I noticed a coworkers A4 has the same Pirelli Cinturato tires as my 328i sport. I haven't researched the A4 or Mercedes tire lineup but I wonder if BMW's competitor's tire choices that may have more to do with the choice than strictly MPG?
There are still a very limited number of RFT's in the market.
The limited competition and low volume is also why they cost so much.
If they keep improving them and more manufacturers switch to RFT's, then we'll see better and better performance and comfort from them, and eventually reasonable prices.

It's a good question why BMW choose these tires.
The tires they put on some sport lines seems haphazard.

Do you have the 19" wheel/tire option?

The Cinturato is an "ultra high performance" summer tire.
But, most early sport lines, especially the 328i's in professional reviews, ran with the standard 18" wheels/tires.
They tires the got were the Goodyear Efficient Grip.
Those tires are "grand touring" summer tires, which is not a performance tire.

The A4 has tested pretty well with that tire. It is a UHP tire, so it should perform well.
It doesn't make sense that BMW would put grand touring type tires on a sport line, unless they wanted to maximize MPG. The Goodyears are a low rolling resistance tire, which helps with MPG. But they're not what you would want for best performance.

BMW has the Bridgestone S001 "max performance" summer tire, the Cinturato, and the Goodyear.

I'll bet Msports will get either the Bridgestone or Cinturato, but not likely to get the Goodyears.
Appreciate 0