12-02-2012, 08:16 PM   #36
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post
Great summary!

Only been in the new 3 series once so limited experience. My C63 has the MCT auto tranny and I bet it is very, very similar in feel and performance to the ZF. The shifts are similar in speed to the DCT but it is an auto (wet clutch instead of a torque converter). It is also a great transmission and FAST. From everything I have read, the ZF 8AT is great and would be a great choice if someone decided not to go 6MT. The hard decision will be 6MT or 8AT... the fact that the 8AT is so capable makes the decision that much more difficult.
MT or AT that's the big question for sure.
I'm an MT driver at heart and I too wrestled with getting an automatic with a torque converter.
So, I tried and tested as much as I could to make a decision.
When I first tried it I was amazed at the sport AT's performance.
I had never felt another AT like this. Did a bunch of reading and was very impressed with the thought ZF put into this trans to make it feel like a cross between a dual clutch and an TC auto.
So, I decided to try it. Since I lease I figured that I I didn't like it, then I'll just go back to a MT.

There really is not comparison between a MT and AT. They feel different and they function in different ways, and the drivers involvement is different too. The better comparison is between a dual clutch, this TC AT, and other TQ AT's, that's where the real comparison lies.
The ZF AT doesn't give you the same feel of involvement as a MT does, and if one is hoping that a manually operated AT is the same as an MT, then it's really not the trans for them.
But if one wants to try an AT that is truly amazing in how it performs in full auto mode and then in manual mode, they will be impressed, and all other TC AT's pale in comparison.

Sometimes I wish I would have chosen the MT, but overall I am really happy with this AT, well at least when it's working correctly.
Mine is gonna need to be looked at.
Appreciate 0