View Single Post
      02-14-2013, 09:23 PM   #6
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude987 View Post
Currently running all season 225/45R18 Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Position on a F30 335i xDrive. It performs relatively well in dry cold road conditions. The handling in wet road conditions is not as good as the summer tires. The handling capability in snow is just sub-standard. Generally disappointed with the overall winter handling capabilities. Definitely would not recommend these tires for anyone who encounters snow during the winter season. It handles poorly in an all wheel xDrive much less on a two wheel drive. I would sell it if I though I could get anything reasonable for it. That's not likely so unfortunately I'll have to live with it for another 50,000 miles or so.

I know this OP will get inundated with the virtues of winter snow tires. But before I'm tarred and feathered, let me just say that my experience with a Lexus RX300 with all season tires (albiet a different type of tires) has been nothing but phenomenal. It is nearly bullet proof. It has to be pushed to extreme limits before reaching its threshold.

I will definitely get winter snow tires next time when opportunity permits.

This is a major reason why I returned the RE970's within the 30 day return period. After I saw the tread in person I suspected that they wouldn't be acceptable for even light snow use. I did some more reading on TR's website and luckily there were reviews of this tire in snow conditions, and the comments weren't pretty.

The 970's were quiet enough and they did have better than usual steering response for AS tires. But, they felt heavy and crashed into road imperfections nearly as bad as the OEM RFT's. If you check their specs they are actually quite heavy physically, nearly as heavy as the RFT's.
I actually lost 1mpg during the 350 or so miles I drove on them.

I'm very surprised at the praise TR gave these tires. But, they had only tested them in warmer dry and wet conditions.
For an AS tire that only tells less than half the story of how they actually perform in ALL seasons road conditions. TR needs to update their review of this tire. Seems that Bridgestone designed these tires to better compete with summer tires and simply adding components to keep the rubber pliable in cold temps. Yet they missed on the tread design and sipe'ing for real AS use and control.

I had great experience with Conti DWS tires on my 135i so I decided to go with what worked for me in the past. I was initially concerned that the DWS would soften initial steering response as the steering in the F30 is already kind of soft. So I did what worked with the 135i, I upped the tire pressure by 5psi all around, and actually the steering response feels as good as the RE970's, which TR praised for having great steering response.
You and I drive in the same area on the same roads and I've driven my 335i in the snow we've already had. The DWS performed just fine. I had good traction for acceleration and turning, and more importantly braking was good, controlled, and very safe.

Like you I fully understand the capabilities of snow/winter tires.
But, we don't get that much snow around here, and snow/winter tires would actually be a negative on ride quality, MPG, wear, and handling.
AS tires are the better choice for this area, but they have to be real and good AS tires. The DWS are exceptional in that regard, especially in cold and wet/damp conditions where they do great in.

I am considering trying a set of the newer winter sport tires, which claim to be in between real snow tires and AS tires. In warmer winter weather they retain good ride quality, and don't get too squishy keeping decent handling.
But that may be an option for my next car as I'm happy with the Conti's and they do great in the summer as well.

I know you don't want to lose what you paid for the 970's, but you may want to consider keeping them until next fall and then get a set of DWS.
From what you've experienced and what others on TR have reported you may be taking an unnecessary risk keeping those tires, especially after they've worn a bit and lost even more of what they didn't have in the first in regards to AS use. The added cost will pay you back in feeling and driving safer in the winter. Be safe out there.
Appreciate 0