View Single Post
      05-15-2012, 02:54 PM   #22
LAnderson23
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tremolo View Post
Not sure if you can add BMW apps after the fact, but you can NOT add BMW Assist if you didn't order it in the build (unless you do some pretty major mods on the car). It's up to you whether you want it or not. I opted to go without BMW Assist. Dealer was confused on ordering the car cos the ordering system automatically adds BMW Assist if you buy the Tech Package.

When I received my car, the dealer was convinced that my iPhone will work with just the white cable. I said no, it will not work without Assist. He said he is so positive that it will work, that if it didn't he'll give me a y-cable for free. We ended up testing it, and he was surprised that it didn't work. He gave me a y-cable.

Later on, we discovered a y-cable comes packaged with the manual in the glove box. So I have 2.

According to nonBMW Assist vehicle deliveries taken on this forum, if you didn't get Assist, you should get a y-cable from the factory. This was the case for mine as well. We just didn't find it till later on.

BMW Assist is free for the first 4 years. After that, you have to pay a subscription. This is why I didn't want to get it.

Hope this has helped.
Thank you! This answers my questions perfectly. As long as a Y-cable comes with the car I'm happy. I just think it's absurd to ask customers to pay $70 for a cable to make your iPod work on your $50,000 car. As long as they give me said cable included, its all good.

I have done some Googling, and there is speculation that IF YOU GET THE NAV (regardless of BMW Assist) then your iPod should work with the Apple USB white cable and you do not need the BMW Y-Cable. If you DO NOT GET NAV then the Y-cable is required. Can anyone confirm this?

To clarify:

1.) You have an F30 with NAV
2.) You DO NOT have BMW Assist and/or BMW Apps or enhanced Blue Tooth & USB

Does your iPod integrate with iDrive with the standard Apple cable, or do you have to use the BMW Y-cable?
Appreciate 0