View Single Post
      04-09-2012, 06:01 PM   #2
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RxCritical View Post
I noticed on my new 328 that the driver side head rest was not down all the way when I bought it. I tried pushing it down (pressing the button of course) and it would not go all the way down. The passenger side seat rest was in fact all the way down. So I lifted the driver's side one all the way up and then it went all the way down no problem.
So of course being the the curious one I was I lifted the passenger side one up to see if it would go all the way back down. If course it didn't. No matter what I did it would not go back down.
Since I was taking my car in for a wheel balance issue I had them look at it. They had several 328's in stock that had the head rest was all the way down but when they lifted it up like I did, it would not return all the way back down.
And by that I mean the bottom of the head rest resting on the top of the seat. Every one except my driver's side one stops at the lowest detent a little over a inch or so above the seat.
My dealer is kinda stumped as to why my driver side goes all the way down but none of the rest do and yet when the car's were delivered almost all of them were all the way down.

Has anyone else noticed this?? Does yours go all the way down?
Thanks,
Paul
That's interesting indeed. Wonder why?

BTW, do you keep the headrest down that low because your head rests in the middle of the rest when it's all the way down?

I'm 6-1" and find I have to put the headrest up a good bit so that my head sits comfortably towards the middle of the headrest.
To work properly the headrest needs to be adjusted so that your is fully supported by the headrest when you lay back into it.
Your head should not be on top of the headrest where your neck is hitting/contacting the top of the rest. In an accident you want your head to fully contact the headrest and be fully supported by the headrest so that your head doesn't snap back and hyper-extend.

I tend to sit very upright when driving, it gives me the best feeling of control. On longer drives I sit back and my head rests comfortably on the rest. My current 135i doesn't have much adjustment to the headrest position, as it only goes up or down, but it works.
I don't recall on the new 3, does the headrest allow for any fore and aft adjustment, along with up and down adjustment?
Appreciate 0