View Single Post
      01-11-2013, 04:33 PM   #6
Enge
Rep
Drives: 328i N20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnekic View Post
I used mototunes break-in procedure, www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

About an hour after getting my car I was at redline. Never worried about "taking it easy", I just drove it how I wanted too and had fun. After a week I had an exhaust, intake and tune installed and have been having a blast!
And say good bye to your engine….

Two important things are essential during brake-in:
1. temperature ! ! !
2. slow rise of revolutions (and reached revolutions maximumum)

Start rev engine without proper temp is absolutely wrong. It is necessary to reach normal operating temp as fast as possible, but without hi revolutions. During engine heating-up lower revs are better (needed).
For 28i engine can be also helpful to use ECO mode, because it uses higher internal engine temperature as COMFORT or SPORT modes. Oil temperature gauge is very helpful here.
You can use higher revolutions, but you have to reach them slowly and gradually. You can drive few minutes with D mode on lower rev and then slowly reach 2000 for few seconds and slowly go back (gently release accelerator). And repeat it many times. Afterwards you can go to 2200 and back, 2400 and back,... You have to spread this process for 3000 – 5000km. During the first km you will reach only 2000 and at the end of this process you will attack 5000. It is difficult to say how many km you need for brake-in process for this engine, we can make only raw estimation. I expect that after 7.000 - 10.000km it can be finished (but I think that 5.000km is minimum) and then you can start with more dynamic drive. Also change of oil after this period is very good way how to save your engine.

If you immediately start to attack red zone (especially without proper engine temp) you will not brake-in but break the engine. You will also fill that engine is OK with sufficient dynamic and “free movement”, but at the end your engine will take more oil, less power, and real operating life will be very short.

EDIT:
I have forgotten something important. You should try to minimize short distance driving during brake-in period. Keep ratio between “traveled distance” vs “cold starts” as high as possible. If you start engine then always try to make as many km as it's possible.

Last edited by Enge; 01-12-2013 at 03:06 PM..
Appreciate 0