View Single Post
      12-04-2012, 04:41 PM   #350
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoenG View Post
SCOTT, yes things are evolving and the market has become global. Still no excuse for the polarising, but mainly aversion evoking designs they put forward. Makes me adore my old E39 even more as a classic beauty, just like the F10 who still has got the X-factor also.

You say that criticism is normal but always has proved to be wrong... I don't buy that, even the offensively ugly Bangle 7-series had to be facelifted early and substantial. When you see a young timer E65 these days, it holds no cancle to earlier E23/32/38 models. I still omit to see good reasons for inferior design. Look at the www for global first reactions on 3 GT, 80% of the reactions are simple and pure aversions on design.

The E65/E66 7er were NOT despite incorrect opinion facelifted early. The LCi for the new 7er model was launched in Geneva 2005 , The production car debuted at the IAA in September 2001. Considering the F01/F02 were launched in July 2008 there is no way the car was facelifted early its Lci was on schedule. Until the F01/F02 came along the polarizing E65 was actually the best selling 7er model ever it also spearheaded BMW's Asian market sales and brought the 7er into contention in these markets where it remains as the largest market for the 7er.

The 3er GT like the 5er GT is an acquired choice. My wife has a GT and she says it is one the best individually tailored car she has ever owned. Her favourite aspect is the interior and also the driving position she says gives her an excellent view of the road ahead.

I invite 5er GT owners from this forum to list what they like about the 5er GT? and why they chose it?

You say it's mainly targeting Europe? The 5GT certainly wasn't. I see the price will put it above the touring also...?? Also here, it will not be a fast moving item then and it will become obsolete immediately, after a first wave of early adopters buying a few thousands of them.

I have already covered this and We will see , how will you react if the low volume 3er GT actually does better than expected?

Will certainly not become a classic. I hope they at least will earn a bit on it.

The 3er GT is based upon the matrix that forms the rest of the 3er and upcoming 4er models. So the GT is entirely cost effective for BMW.
The 5er GT is again formed from the larger L6 matrix or backbone which covers the 5er , 6er and 7er models. These new matrixes are developed to be cost effective so additional models can be created on these modular platforms. As these are entirely cost effective for BMW, profit margins on this new generation of BMWs is significantly higher than before per car.
I would also like to point out something else that has been overlooked.
the 5er GT is NOT a volume level car so sales should not be as high as some of you were expecting. BMW's initial strategy on launch was to sell around 15,000-20,000 units of the 5er GT per year.