View Single Post
      02-01-2017, 09:38 PM   #60
Paul-Bracq-BMW
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1981 323i, sports M5, LSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
Because it is not necessary for every damned carmaker to build a supercar.

::drops mic::

Dude, check your horsepower stats on the Miura. The 3.5L version of the V12 never made more than about 320hp before Lambo started boring it out for the original periscope Countach. But I digress ...

Bottom line: At the time, Ferrari, Lambo, Porsche, Lotus, Lancia, Maserati, and others were in the business of making sports cars and higher. BMW was not.

Also: I never said that the M1 was a supercar. Because it wasn't. And neither was the Countach as originally built. Lamborghini turned it into one into the 1980s by boring the snot out of that V12 because the early 1980s is when the 'supercar' as we define it began appearing. The 'supercar' actually made Lamborghini viable as a company. The 'supercar' as we know it now basically didn't exist before 1980. We certainly didn't tag American muscle cars that in the late 1960s, or Aston Martins or Lotii, or Porsches (even the Turbo) or any other German car, or the Renault Alpine, or what have you from Italy -- even the Miura or Ferrari's cars before 1980.

They were exotic. None were supercars.
Terminology is just semantics, fact is they were the "supercars" of their time.