TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by r3dbimmer89 View Post
I Agree, he does sound confused but he did make a point that yes the ATS handles better BUT the BMW is the overall better car minus the handling.
Which makes all the reviews sound biased towards BMW. How many times has BMW/3-Series be the one with just the handling but subpar overall compared to Audi and Mercedes? Almost all the time. But now that BMW is on the other side where it's better overall it still wins?

If the ATS is judged similarly to how the 3-Series did to win all those comparisons, I think the ATS should win.

- iDrive was pretty crappy at first but BMW still won the comparisons.

- Audi/Mercedes arguably way better interior with OK handling. BMW has a cold feeling interior, great handling. BMW wins comparison.

Everything the media said about Audi and Mercedes when BMW were raking all those wins, BMW is now receiving those exact criticisms yet they're still first?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
I understand, but to me it sure seemed to be the biggest data point.
After all, after stating how much better the ATS was in terms of all around performance and handling, the subtle things you mention can't elevate a car to be the 'winner'. A not so great shifter and a bit coarser engine at high rpm is hardly a loser when it has better handling, better ride, better steering and feel, better braking, etc..., and the 3 has a nicer interior and better iDrive.
Remember, when iDrive first came out, nearly all the mags C&D included hated it, but they never knocked the 3 series below 1st place because of it, which was due to it's superior chassis and handling.

That's how I took it after watching it a couple of times.
I'll watch a couple more and look and listen again.
As I said, the rules seem to have changed now that the King is being greatly challenged.
Beat me to it. Was thinking the exact same thing when watching, why is BMW suddenly getting better treatment?
Appreciate 0