View Single Post
      04-12-2012, 08:13 AM   #41
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by simianspeedster View Post
This is really the driving issue. The geometry of a folding hardtop is quite complicated and it just doesn't work on a larger coupe with a long, sloping rear window. You can't "clamshell" a roofline like that and leave any trunk.

Convertibles with folding hardtops invariably compromise one way or another:

Maybe someone will find an elegant way of folding a long coupe roofline into more pieces without looking terrible, but until that time, the 6 Series and A5 will have to stay soft top.
Spot on analysis. I completely agree with you, BTW, that Lexus and Infiniti both blew it. Especially Lexus. My god that thing is an abomination.

(And yes, I do realize that there are those out there that think the same of the E93 too. )

I think it is only a matter of time for someone to figure out how to make a large greenhouse fold and stow elegantly. It may be that we will wait for cheaper CRFP production and construction to get it. I expect one could make a very lightweight and compact folding hard top using mostly carbon fiber. But even with advances in tech it will cost a pretty penny. Maybe it will show up on a Bentley GTC or something - though that is a very large passenger cabin to cover up.
Appreciate 0