View Single Post
      07-08-2012, 09:58 AM   #19
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjames View Post
Thanks South. In the original post on this topic in the Navi/Technical Subforum, these were the features called out as new:

The next generation Navigation Professional system (609) will be available on the 5 Series Sedan, 5 Series Gran Turismo, 7 Series Sedan and ActiveHybrid 3.

This new system offers faster processing and an enhanced design over the current system and incorporates several great new features:

• Streamlined radio/media menu structure
• Improved navigation submenu structure
• Advanced Real-Time Traffic Information
• Weather information in navigation map
• POI enrichment*
• GoogleTM autocomplete*
* requires BMW Assist Convenience Plan.

Can you confirm that this is what's on the table for Wednesday? I'm getting a MY13 which is in production right now and what I'm seeing here looks like a subtle running-change and not some drastic overhaul (now that the confusion over the 'touch' is clarified). "Menu and submenu structures" save some steps but don't imply new functionality. "Advanced" traffic information might have more detail but not necessarily be any faster. "Map weather" and Google and POI stuff isn't a deal breaker.

Before we go crazy and start canceling orders, need to know if this is really all there is.

Thanks.

BJ
We got to wait until Wednesday for all details but from my understanding you're spot on. I've spent about a day with cars equipped with the new Nav and it's a noticeable change but not even remotely as dramatic or revolutionary as the change to the current version back in 2008 (new controller). The menus look nicer and it's working quite a bit faster. For example, it allows you to zoom in and out way faster than before. If you had an October built I'd say wait that one more month but it's not worth waiting 3 or 4 more months IMO.

Best regards,
south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0