badninja99
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i XDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
Only you can decide if you are up for any task. Can't go by what someone else labels as "easy" or "difficult".

At first I talked to a few local car stereo shops. I had installed car stereos in other cars years ago but never touched a BMW. They all pitched that they had great experience but when I asked specific questions, they gave me answers that led me to trust them with my car less and less. They were all just going to tear apart my car trunk interior and wing it, and charge me a ridiculous amount of money. I decided that I could take my time and do a better job.

Instructions come with the AudioControl amplifier and a wiring diagram from Technicpnp that didn't come with the harness, but I contacted them through the website and they emailed it to me.

The BMW specific information I learned as I removed interior panels from inside my trunk to expose the HK amplifier in the left trunk alcove, the car battery in the right trunk alcove and the fuse box under the trunk floor panel that just lifts right up.

There is one BMW specific wire to run from the fuse box to the AudioControl amp to signal it to turn on/off with the car's ignition but that's plug and play by buying a couple small items from local stores. I can provide those details. And I have photos.

To wire everything in the trunk requires just a handful of items from the Internet and/or local stores like Lowe's, Autozone, Pep Boys, etc. Purists will tell you to solder everything, but you can buy/use simple crimp connectors.

Contact Technicpnp to get the latest wiring diagram for the harness and post a photo of it here. I've already posted a lot of detailed information on this installation but I haven't done it as step by step instructions. Maybe I'll try to write it up that way with the photos that I took.
johnung I appreciate the help and the advice. How many spacer rings do I need? I ordered one pair(2 rings) do I need to order another?

I have spimp connectors and a crimper.

What other tools or parts will I need to complete the job?
Will I need to drill to hold the new amp in place?

I Just want to make sure I have everything to start this weekend

Here is the Diagram:
Premium & FXX HK Trunk Sub Harness.pdf

Last edited by badninja99; 03-22-2022 at 11:58 AM.. Reason: Addition
Appreciate 0