View Single Post
      12-06-2012, 06:47 PM   #521
advantage20
Major
France
Rep
Drives: 330d

I kept wondering what exactly the rear end was reminding me of and I found out it's a mix of several things:

- The overal flatness and squareness of the rear end, combined with angular taillights together with a rather flat piece of metal between them, when when viewed from plain behind, have something of the E34 5 Series to them
- The rear LED signature that dips slightly down towards the edges before rising up again seems like a cue from 8 Series general tailllights shape, and could also remind the Citroën C5.

The result for me is that I absolutely love the whole car, except the contour of these taillights, which is not as typical as on other BMWs. I would love them:
1. To be just a bit thinner. Maybe this was a deliberate move in order to not make the car look as ideal and as desirable as the 6 Series looks with its sleek thin rear lights.
2. To have their outer edges sloping a bit more towards their upper angle like on most recent BMWs which gives a dynamic feel from the profile. Instead of being kind of roughly rounded off on the outside which makes them look a bit flubby.

Speaking of maybe more than coincidental resemblance, I defintely believe there is some A5 to it, ironically not as much in the sloping roof + short trunk lid (compared to the E92) that most people would pick up, but more in that little flat portion on top of the roof, that of course makes the overall height stay low but also sort of 'sits' the car visually in a more stable way (the roof is not that much rounder than on the E92 actually, it's just more extended to the back). This one is subtle but I'm sure some of you picked it up too.

I find the 4er gorgeous overall including the profile, but not as much the plain rear end which is very squared off. Also, the front lights signature is superb, but look at the front lights' exterior outline, it is very very close to that of the F30, how is that for a different series number?? Well, though not perfect, to me the 4er Coupé will now be with the 5er Sedan the best lookers of the range

Last edited by advantage20; 12-06-2012 at 07:04 PM..
Appreciate 0