View Single Post
      01-24-2013, 05:41 PM   #9
DieselRocket
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 435d M Sport

Thanks for the replies. I checked for stuff in the boot and underneath the boot liner - nothing.

The sound is pretty telling of what the source could and could't be. Slightly wooden in sound, too heavy and solid to be something in the boot, trim or a door and, most certainly, coming from underneath the car. The weight is about right to be the the exhaust, but the dealer ruled that out firmly (they even checked for marks on the underside of the car).

The sounds comes mostly from rear left, a little less from front left and slightly from front right. It's very clear when rolling over even minor bumps, such as on roads through city, with a few surface repairs. To say it sounds like worn ball joints on an old car would be the most accurate description - bang on in tone and weight.

No sign of it diminishing as I approach 1,600 miles, but it's less prominent in Sport mode, almost as if the tightening of the dampers damps the knocking.

The dealer talked about it potentially being an issue with the top mounts. I've no concerns (yet) about their attitude, as they're taking it seriously. Get the feeling they might have seen it before, as they jumped to suspecting suspension immediately after ruling out exhaust mounts.

I read online somewhere (can't remember where) a comment from a magazine about an Audi with adaptive suspension that had similar knocking sounds and that the dampers were eventually replaced to fix the problem.

Car is due in the dealers for the day week after next. Meantime, it's fantastic to drive and seems to be getting better with miles. The grunt is just grin-inducing and it feels so positive and talkative in Sport. Love it, knocking or not.
Appreciate 0