12-08-2011, 05:10 PM   #23
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
The next Diesel introduction will be the X3 , but do not hope for 535d and 335d as the lukewarm reaction to the 335d shows that BMW diesel in the US market works for SAV's , less so for core sedans.
Thanks Scott, just curious, but what was the take rate for the EU of the 335d? I'd be curious if the all automatic setup and relatively slim mileage gains were more to blame than something as simple as Americans won't buy a 3er diesel?

My suspicion is that you guys just offered the wrong diesel and treated us as simpletons, thinking that we'd want as much power as possible, transmission and overall efficiency be damned.

Mercedes has sold diesels in the US with much better take rates, but I suspect that their success has to do with the fact that they don't require you to make as many sacrifices as the 335d required. MB has offered a diesel model between the cost of the gas models, not above it like the 335d was.

I'd posit that a 320d priced above the 328i and below the 335i with an available manual and the same options as the 328i had would be quite successful, but you guys have clearly made up your minds and this has generally been a waste of typing.
Appreciate 0