05-21-2012, 04:42 PM   #19
Mike@N54Tuning.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosz View Post
Hi Mike, In layman terms, what does this CPS offsetting do exactly? I read another thread about it but wasnt to sure. Is this the device that takes care of the reliance on knock sensor thing that some people seem to bash JB with? When I get my F30 335 and when you release the JB4 for it (lol) , id be most running occasionally in Map 1 and maybe the economy map sometimes, mostly on bypass. So Not doing anything crazy here...

thankss
CPS stands for crank position sensor, and you can offset that sensor to influence ignition spark advance among other things like VANOS timing, fuel injection timing, etc. It ties in to the bigger picture of how advance is tuned and how you avoid knock at higher boost levels. If your engine is knocking it will damage itself, blow a headgasket, crank plugs, break a piston, and all sorts of nasty stuff. How advance is managed changes for each application so the tuning strategy with the N54 is different than the N55 which is different than the N52 which is different than the new N20.

I don't know enough about the N20 product under development and testing now to give exact details on the tuning end but BMS has never released a tune that causes knock if the proper map for the octane is selected. These guys like Bryce and a few others have been saying the sky is falling for the last five years with BMS tuning. Yet, over the years it's proven to be one of the most reliable and widely used systems out there in the BMW community. If a motor was knocking at full power output it would not make it more than a few miles without serious damage. The DME is actually programmed to detect knock andthrow a specific set of knock codes if knock is detected and BMS tunes DO NOT throw these codes. With 15,000 customers running BMS tunes many of which have been using them for 100k miles their reliability rating has proven to be as good or better than any other tuning platform out there.

Mike
Appreciate 0