View Single Post
      09-22-2012, 08:22 PM   #10
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmehanna View Post
Had my car a little over 2 months and 1500 miles. With 1000 miles on the clock, the car developed a strange sound similar to a cowbell coming from underneath the car, turned out a black plastic cap was loose inside the front half of the driveshaft. The cap is not illustrated on the driveshaft part diagram and hence has no part number (as well as no apparent function). Cap was removed and the entire drive shaft was ordered for replacement under warranty.

With the cowbell gone, I started hearing a very faint mechanical noise similar to an electric buzz just before the automatic shifts gears, only audible driving slow with the windows down on a quiet and narrow road.

I also noticed there is a momentary loud mechanical rattle/buzz coming from underneath the car the car when engine is cold started, and I have the suspension/steering clunk discussed extensively in another forum thread.

I'm very disappointed with the car. Is anyone else experiencing similar noise(s)?
Yes, it sucks to have issues with a new car.
Sounds like the major problem with the "cap" and drive shaft is being fixed, so that's good.

As for the buzz noise, it could be normal. These cars do make lots of whirring and whizzing sounds at times at start up and shut down.
Maybe you're just becoming to sensitized and you're listening too closely to sounds that may be normal?
It happens.

As for the clunking sound, I started a thread on that issue, but in my 335i the clunking is not heard when the engine is running nor when driving.
My steering wheel makes a clunking sound only when the engine is shut off.
So far there isn't anything to report. The BMW tech says "it's normal".
Of course he would, because this car is new to him as well and I think he's just guessing at this point.
To be "normal" ALL F30's would do this, and that is simply not the case.
Some F30's have this clunk sound and some don't, so the jury is still out on what is causing this clunk.

Does you car have a clunk sound in the steering when you're driving it?
Over bumps?
That could be a different issue to mine, but then, my car is also new just 900 miles. Maybe this clunk will get worse and will present itself even when the engine is running, don't know yet.

Meanwhile, enjoy your car. The things you've mentioned can be annoying, but if there is real problem it'll get sorted in time.
Don't make yourself not like you car over a couple of issues, it happens.
Appreciate 0