View Single Post
      01-18-2014, 10:43 AM   #12
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

Glad to see BMW doing so well. However, I do see a few problems with the plan. Particularly, I think the line-up is getting way too crowded. Not only do we now have a 1, 2, 3, and 4 series, but we have multiple variants of each, resulting in only slight differences in some cases from other offerings in their line-up. While great for consumers who enjoy endless variable choices, each of these models and variants require overhead and investment. Simply said, I wonder if BMW is spreading itself too thin while creating models that are unnecessarily close in terms of specs, usability, etc. Are these new options effective at growing consumer base and sales? At first glance, I'd say yes based upon sales results. However, sales may be strengthening for various reasons, so it's worth exploring the ROI of the new offerings.

In many cases, businesses that begin stretching themselves thin suffer some losses in focus on their core offerings (bread and butter). While offering too many similar options may just cause sales of one model to eat into the next.

Anyway, all of that said, I'm excited for BMW and their success. Their cars are fantastic and constantly improving. Hopefully 2014 is another strong year!
Appreciate 0