07-01-2013, 04:16 AM   #279
TonyS
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKau View Post
Not trying to post wh0re here as I am genuinely interested in solving the wind noise problems as well being genuinely bewildered on how BMW could let such cars out of the factory. I've already written these thoughts in the road noise thread, but feel that I should make the point in this thread as well.

I originally thought that my car had wind noise issues. At 80km/h and above (50mph) I used to hear lots of cross wind buffeting in my car. At speeds as little as 35km/h (20mph) I thought I heard excessive noise from the wing mirrors.

I genuinely believed these were wind noise related issues. In fact, they're not. I think the only genuine wind noise related issues are to do with the windscreen strip and poor fitting / fast perishing seals.

As I eliminated the various sources of noise, I came to realise that the majority of what I thought was wind noise is from the cheap thin plastic sh1t BMW use for the front section of the front wheel arches, with zero sound proofing. To prove it, Frogman & I both shrouded this cheap cr@p with sound deadening material and both found less noise.

Today I just had the doors adjusted so that they shut really tight... that eliminated the rest of the noise to the point where I can honestly say my car is as quiet as a tomb at freeway speeds on smooth tarmac.

So before you go writing off your car, I encourage you to have your doors adjusted. If there is even a slight smidgen of "give" when you press the door against the chassis, then it's worth taking the doors in for adjustment. The difference is remarkable.

You should be able to push on your doors hard and have zero movement.

If the door adjustments alone don't make you happy, you will unfortunately have to resort to manual labour & do some extra sound proofing... but I tell you... you will love your car again !!

Please don't give up fellas. I think it's worth investing in a bit of time to bring back enjoyment of ownership of a great car. Pity BMW skimped on the wheel arches.
The voice of reason

There do seem to be two different types of wheel arch covers. Mine are still plastic, but from your description elsewhere not nearly as thin as yours appear to be, and I've not noticed any real improvement by temporarily lining them. Maybe BMW are using different wheel arch covers in different markets for some obscure reason.

The main improvement I've found in reducing road noise was by investing in a BMW boot (trunk) liner. Having the extra layer of thick rubber/plastic in the boot has made a noticeable difference to the amount of noise entering the cabin, albeit at the expense of slightly reducing the lovely 335i exhaust note as well.
Appreciate 0