View Single Post
      11-29-2012, 11:43 AM   #23
amanda hor$t
Banned
Rep
Drives: a380

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbatim View Post
Would you recommend Berkeley over LA? From what I've heard there is unnecessary grade-deflation, and the campus did not seem very sociable when stopped by on a family trip to sf.
it depends on your focus. both schools are good in several fields of study. if you're all about academics, berkeley gets the nod (among the best for engineering, math, science, humanities/english, nobel laureates etc). i've known many from both, overall, berkeley's a smarter crowd (smarter in theory and pure academics, ucla you see more of the gamers/hustlers). though the culture may be a bit shocking, it's called bezerkley for a reason. e.g., there's this law that bans franchise food near campus, so you get a bunch of locally known mom/pop shops. ucla is better for the mainstream guy: most ncaa championships all-time, an upscale beachfront neighborhood, hotter girls.

most uc classes are graded on a normal curve. neither will be like stanfurd or harvard where they hold your hand and guarantee graduation.

i would visit both: where do you want to live the next 4 yrs? both schools are fine as a launchpad for grad school or a solid entry-level job.

Last edited by amanda hor$t; 11-29-2012 at 02:39 PM..
Appreciate 0