View Single Post
      04-11-2023, 08:33 PM   #39
Wulfman_78
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRW70 View Post
Just want to update my previous post, my 340i is now sporting Portuguese plates. It took 8 months but its done. Importing a US car to the EU is possible, but patience is required.
Hi LRW70, and belated congrats to the move to Portugal! We're in the process of moving from the US to Portugal, too. We would like to bring along our '22 G26 430i, considering how insanely expensive the very same car is in Portugal (€80k vs. $60k).
I was wondering if I could ask you what you actually had to change to get the car "legalized" in Portugal? I understand the taillights need separation of brakelights, and driving lights, as well as amber indicators. So basically new taillights plus some coding and new light control switch.

What about the front lights? I researched a bit and found out that the parts numbers for Europe/ RoW and the US are different. European headlights have an ECE number and US headlights have a DOT number. Were you able to pass inspection without replacing the headlights?
Did the Portuguese authorities cause any issues due to different emission standards for US cars vs. European cars?

Thank you in advance, we're excited for our move!

Last edited by Wulfman_78; 04-11-2023 at 08:36 PM.. Reason: typos
Appreciate 1
LRW7075.50