01-21-2013, 07:37 AM   #20
Just a 3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i prem sport perf pkge

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300hp View Post
You are right about the 330i, I would have been pissed if I had bought that car. It was also underpowered relative to the competition.

Your question is relevant now but these are different times. The N55 is on the wards 10 best, only the S4 offers something comparable otherwise everything else is left in the dust. In addition BMW offers the power pack and that boosts your hp/tq by 10%.

I also have the N55 in my X5, that's why I did not even order the power pack in my 335i. That engine has enough power even in the 5000lb SUV.

BMW in my opinion offered the N54 as a result of the hp war that was started by Infiniti and Lexus back then, they were offering 306 horses at a significant discount to the 330i. Look at those two now after being tamed by the N54/55. They are both offering the same old engines for their 2014 models. IMO they is no pressure to push the hp war on BMWs part.

Given the above, I don't think the situation now is the same as in 2006, you will probably not even get the power pack
I had one of those 330i cars before my N54, let me tell you, it was in no way underpowered. On paper it had lesser power than the G37, but in real world conditions it was faster.
Appreciate 0