View Single Post
      09-29-2023, 05:57 AM   #1
blau3er
Captain
Rep
Drives: F31 30d

Sound Deadening Project - F31 Touring

Following on from my recent Bang & Olufsen retrofit (which can be found here: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2035057) - I decided that the next logical step would be to add some sound deadening to the car to further improve things.

I ordered up the materials from Dodo Mat here in the UK, and got to work...

The products I bought was their 2mm Deadn Pro, which is a butyl / aluminium deadening mat and I also bought their new SQ acoustic liner, which is a closed cell foam.

The first job I tackled was adding in deadening into the sub enclosures, pretty easy and the material was thin enough to sit under the plastic ribs of the enclosure, meaning there is no risk of interference.

Next up was a systematic approach to the doors.

I added butyl deadening and foam to the reverse of each door card, which added some substantial mass to the door cards. I replaced all of the door clips and added Tesa tape to the mounting locations to eliminate any rattles.

Front door card:

Rear door card:

Next, with the help of Wibbles we got the front seats out, so that I could add some deadening underneath the sub woofer enclosures. Again, the material was thin enough at 2mm to ensure that no interference issues were caused. Whilst there, I also added deadening into the B pillar area, but I forgot to take a picture of that!

I then moved onto the sheet metal of the doors. I firstly added deadening to the inner door skins, where possible. However, I focussed mainly on the reverse side of the outer door skin, adding in a substantial amount of deadening and covering that further with the acoustic foam.

Front door:

Rear door:

The vapour barriers had taken a bit of a beating from fitting the new tweeter wiring, so to satisfy my OCD, I opted to take the opportunity of replacing all 4 and re-fitting them with all new genuine BMW butyl rope. Expensive, but worth it for peace of mind and dry carpets!

Note, the rope is one continuous piece, the cuts in the pictures are just relief cuts that I made to the backing paper to stop the rope from twisting when laying it on the new barriers.

END RESULTS....

100% worth the effort, rattles have disappeared from the doors and the sound quality is even further improved. In fact, I have had to turn the bass down now, as its much more present and powerful as a result of the deadening. Clarity is also further improved, especially vocals and highs.

I did this in small 2-3 hour chunks over several days - and I'm really glad I made the effort!
Appreciate 5
Wibbles447.50
MEN54238.00
Dagstar376.50
fe7565556.50