03-13-2012, 03:14 PM   #16
Raspartan
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoptb View Post
In this scenario, as I understand it from your description, I don't think that the BMW system would have helped very much at all. I think the BMW system is most effective for vehicles/objects that it has been tracking for a little time (a vehicle in front of it that has slowed down). Since this particular situation involved the car accelerating to beat the yellow light, and the truck only coming into its line-of-sight at the last moment, I don't think that the BMW system would have known to apply the brakes any sooner. Since the system doesn't affect the steering angle, an impact would have probably been unavoidable.
Well yes, the primary impact was likely unavoidable. But I wonder whether his momentum would have been slowed if he'd had automatic braking after he bounced off and drove into me. Again though, I'm not sure that it would have activated at all. It all depends on whether the primary impact would have registered with the on-board computer.

On a related note, where is that SecureFoam system for the passengers that I saw in Demolition Man?

Now that's active protection!

Last edited by Raspartan; 03-13-2012 at 03:29 PM..
Appreciate 0