View Single Post
      10-31-2012, 12:26 PM   #45
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky13 View Post
I think the reliabity reports from Consumer reports are very accurate. If you subscribe to the magazine or on line they send you a questionaire about your cars every year which I usually fill out. I don't follow their overall reviews on cars because they are biased away from sports oriented vehicles. I would contend they are much more accurate about reliability than this forum because this forum is geared towards BMW enthusiasts or people that have an issue that went on line and were directed to the site because it matched an issue they have.
What a CR reader who bought a Toyota might consider a reliable car might be different from what a CR reader who bought a BMW might consider a reliable car. The problem with CR is that they only survey their subscribers and not the general population. A good example of CR's inaccuracy is when I had my 08 Lexus GS350 AWD. CR rated the GS350 AWD below average while they rate the GS350 RWD above average. One would assume it’s the AWD components that is unreliable, but Lexus AWD is pretty much bullet proof. CR later on release an article about how the GS350 AWD is unreliable due to its interior components and fit and finish. The funny thing is that the GS350 RWD had the exact same interior components and it is highly rated by CR.
Appreciate 0