11-12-2012, 08:23 PM   #5
lokito
Registered
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: 335i ///M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjames View Post
There is a specific option called Enhanced Bluetooth and USB that must be on the car in order for the iPod to just plug into the USB port with the white Apple cord.

If you don't have that feature, you need the Y cable to get control over the iPod.

Those of us with this additional feature can dock our iPod/iPhone's directly through USB with the white Apple cord and get on-screen album art and Bluetooth audio streaming among other niceties. I do not believe that the quality of the audio would be compromised o4 very noticeable at speed with the cabin noise. The big loss is the streaming, integration. and more attractive UI elements.

BJ

I'm actually on the same boat. Just ordered a 335i, with no Nav or Tech package, and this will be my first BMW and I'm not familiar with previous models. So with the Y cable you can actually control the ipod and your music playlists, etc. will be displayed on the iDrive screen correct? The only downside is that the sound will be through the audio jack, right? Unless Enhanced Bt/USB is a separate option, i just don't feel like spending another $600 to scroll through my iPod music, if it is only available with the BMW Assist.