Captain
Rep
Drives: Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaungo
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenKeel View Post
No vendetta; just food for thought.

The original post was designed to answer a very simple question -- If making power RELIABLY is as easy as the after market community would have you believe; then why doesn't BMW follow this same path? Can't get any more clear than that.

With regard to comments made about cost not being a factor in making a non-M 3 series purchase i.e. "I could have picked up an M3 if I wanted".....doesn't apply to everyone. I for one could not "pick up" an M3. I have a well loaded 335i and that was my ceiling.

I also cannot afford $15K for a new N55 motor. Therefore, MPPK was my threshold.

Before the "don't tune" Cowboys emerge....understand, that was never the question to begin.

Furthermore, why is the forum filled with talk about removing piggybacks prior to dealer service or "finding a chillaxed SA who will turn a blind eye"? I mean come on.....if you're that confident in your tune, and you know something that BMW clearly doesn't about the tolerance levels of these powerplants, then why the fear of potentially losing your warranty?

Comments such as the N55 can hold 600whp and the ZF8HP45 can handle it are just laughable!

See...everything is fine, until is isn't. That's when you have the poor ba$tard come on here telling his story about how his motor grenaded and that he made sure to remove his piggyback before dropping the car off at the dealer. Then 15 posts later everyone tells him to be careful about posting on a public forum and that he should stop posting as big brother BMW is watching. Lol.

......and no I don't have N55 envy; the N20 example was to ask the question of what happens when these "tuned" power plants grenade. I have an N55.

Well, there is a reason why they release the MPPK for the 35i/40i series and not the 20/28i series biw isn't there?

Because the engine can handle it, and they want to milk money off of the consumers. The 35i series has proven over the years that it can handle the power, until you start putting race gas or ethanol, but just pump gas tunes and it runs the upped boost no problem with the upgraded chargepipes.
This is pure, unsubstantiated, conjecture.
Appreciate 0