obriennathaniel
@obriennathaniel_f30 on Instagram
United_States
Rep
Drives: 582whp/596wtq '13 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenKeel View Post
No vendetta; just food for thought.

The original post was designed to answer a very simple question -- If making power RELIABLY is as easy as the after market community would have you believe; then why doesn't BMW follow this same path? Can't get any more clear than that.

With regard to comments made about cost not being a factor in making a non-M 3 series purchase i.e. "I could have picked up an M3 if I wanted".....doesn't apply to everyone. I for one could not "pick up" an M3. I have a well loaded 335i and that was my ceiling.

I also cannot afford $15K for a new N55 motor. Therefore, MPPK was my threshold.

Before the "don't tune" Cowboys emerge....understand, that was never the question to begin.

Furthermore, why is the forum filled with talk about removing piggybacks prior to dealer service or "finding a chillaxed SA who will turn a blind eye"? I mean come on.....if you're that confident in your tune, and you know something that BMW clearly doesn't about the tolerance levels of these powerplants, then why the fear of potentially losing your warranty?

Comments such as the N55 can hold 600whp and the ZF8HP45 can handle it are just laughable!

See...everything is fine, until is isn't. That's when you have the poor ba$tard come on here telling his story about how his motor grenaded and that he made sure to remove his piggyback before dropping the car off at the dealer. Then 15 posts later everyone tells him to be careful about posting on a public forum and that he should stop posting as big brother BMW is watching. Lol.

......and no I don't have N55 envy; the N20 example was to ask the question of what happens when these "tuned" power plants grenade. I have an N55.
When have you ever heard of any car manufacturer ever release a motor that's already at its max "reliable" potential....in my opinion, almost never, especially with the N54/55. Of course that term is relative and extremely opinionated. I've never heard of anyone grenading a N55, although I did see someone with an ever so slightly bend rod using the stock turbo, an extremely one-off case. And both motor and tranny are holding in the 600's in terms of HP and torque, so they can handle it. Unless "handle" means forever to you, then who knows if they can or not. I also don't have any type of relations or hookups at my dealership, and I bring my car in exactly how she sits and don't take off anything.

CG Precision VS-1 Exhaust\DR-1 DownPipe | PS2 Turbo\Inlet | PDU PI w/Fuel-it platinum kit & E sensor | GFB DV+ Diverter Valve | BM3 w/AIC2-V|Tune CaryTheLabelGuy | Full E85 | ATM FMIC | ER Chargepipe Inlet/Outlet | AFE Intake | BC Coilovers | PSS 255/40-275/35 Velos Designwerks S3 two piece 19x9/19x10 | Osram Xenarc | LED retro | AWRON digital AC gauge|
Appreciate 2