View Single Post
      10-24-2012, 03:57 AM   #19
M40WST
Private
Rep
Drives: MINI Cooper,Previous F30 316d

I am of the view of HighlandPete in that in general a lot of people have the perception that if they are driving a 4x4 that they can do what ever they like when it snows as once they get moving they think they can stop, but when it comes to stopping a 4x4 is in the same situation as RWD or FWD driver with Summer Tyres on it that they cant stop. With the case of the 4x4 perception with them being unable to stop they are likely to cause a bigger accident.

That being said from what you say Rb79 it sounds like you are one of the more sensible drivers around and it is quite possible to drive a FWD or 4x4 with Summer Tyres during the winter if you driver to the conditions e.g. keeping a larger distance and braking by using your gears rather than the brakes unless you have to.

I have ordered an RWD F30 and also at set of Winter Wheels because I know I will be safer on the road that way, that being said I will still be keeping my eyes on my mirrors and leaving gaps in front and looking for mr invincible in his 4x4 with summer tyres behind me.

Winter Tyres have more of benefit not just for when it snows but in general when the temperature is below 7c.

I believe the order of safeness is -

xDrive with Winters
RWD with Winters / FWD with Winters
xDrive with Summers
FWD with Summers
RWD with Summers

As a general rule I would be much less worried about a FWD car with summers behind me that I would an xDrive / 4x4 with summers but that doesn't mean that person doesn't know how to drive in those conditions.

There would be far less accidents in the UK in the Winter if we followed the same rules of the rest of europe by putting Winters on in Novemeber and Summers back on in April
Appreciate 0