11-28-2012, 06:44 PM   #272
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean10mm View Post
Well yeah, it actually does, because an F30 328i Sport on all seasons matches the results of a E46 330i ZHP on staggered summer tires. Whoops.
That's not how it works dude. Stock vs. stock. For instance, the ZHP came with 2 generations old Pilot Sports, are you really sure if and how much more grip they offer compared to the tires on the F30?

If you allow some $1300 tire change on the F30, and spend the same amount changing the ZHP, who would win the performance battle? let's just agree the cars are absolutely very similar in performance - the only difference is that the same performance envelope is more accessible in the new car, and you have to work harder in a ZHP to get at it. Which for people like me is not a burden, but a pleasure.

Quote:
Also, the comparable for the E46 330i ZHP is the F30 335i Sport/M Sport, not the slowest F30 in a straight line. That would have been, what, an E46...325i? 318i?
I'm comparing what the other guys were comparing.

It went that way because you want to compare similar power to weight ratios. Otherwise, the new car has lots more power than the E46 325i, so all the increased performance compared to that car is in the straight line. If you think this makes it sportier...

BTW nobody complained about the F30 328i drivetrain, in fact I think it's absolutely brilliant. I am looking forward to enjoying it as often as possible when I get my X1. People were complaining about the chassis, handlng, suspension tuning, steering feel, and general feedback.

What I don't get is this - obviously people who bought these cars think its sporty enough. So what's it to them if guys like me or that journalist think otherwise? it doesn't change what they are driving daily, or the reasons for buying it. Why do you care that BMW no longer builds the best sport sedans?

FYI, there was no 318i E46 imported in the USA.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i

Last edited by adc; 11-28-2012 at 06:52 PM..
Appreciate 0