01-14-2014, 12:40 PM   #17
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC View Post
I think that largely depends on how you intend to use it. For a daily driver, that's hard to argue with. If you like track days, then the 335 needs some work to get to a point where it's at a similar level of competency as a bone stock M3.
Depending on what path you take for mods, the cost can end up far exceeding the price difference between the two cars.
I think it's kind of crazy to think the M3 is just a suped up 335 N55. Aside from the obvious jump in power:

-Active rear differential (a lot more than "just" an LSD);
-Carbon fiber all over the place, weight on par with e46 m3;
-Suspension and brakes that will be at home on the track, would probably require 2-3k for a comparable suspension upgrade and 3k for brake upgrade (not sure about "M brake upgrade for 500", maybe that cuts it);
-DCT or rev matching 6 speed, should have lighter dual mass flywheel, carbon fiber drive shaft;
-Body lines aren't comparable, the M is much more aggressive;
-Wheels etc, should be monoblock forged 19's good for 5lbs off each corner is my guess.
-Possibly some kind of valved exhaust;
-Higher revving engine;

This doesn't factor in factory tuned and calibrated (not to mention warranty), vs aftermarket which can be all over the place in terms of how well it synergizes. IMO completely worth the extra 15k sticker price. It might be possible to see a 335i tuned with 3k worth of goodies run with the M at the strip, but no way at the track, especially after repeated lapping.
Appreciate 0