View Single Post
      03-17-2016, 07:51 PM   #32
GeorgeR
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X6 XDrve35i 2009 335i E92

I have revisited the car wash process after my wife picked up her new 2016 X6.

I, like a few posters conceded, accept the reality I just am not going to maintain the initial new car commitment to wash regularly as the novelty wears off.

I still want to keep our cars reasonably clean so this time around asked the Dealer not to do anything to the outside of the car and drove her X6 directly to a detailer to have to have CQuartz finest applied. The dealer was embarrassed to deliver a car that dirty but honored my request.

I’m not suggesting it is the best or only way but have the hope it will cut down the time needed to wash and dry and save over the long run by reducing the need for regular polishing and/or waxing.

I had also never heard of the two bucket with grit guard method and have adopted that practice. I just used common sense, started at the top, rinsed the mitt and rags after cleaning a small section with a hose and accomplished the same thing but I see the logic in the 2 bucket system.

I have a garage and tend to wash when it is warm out when possible so in those situations, wash the wheels first since they take so long and get the rest of the car wet again. I then get clean mitts, soap and water to clean the car. This allows me time to quickly blow most the water off and pull in to the garage to pat dry the rest of the car.

I have a black 2009 335i CP that is still in great shape for a black car its’ age and I am considering getting it coated as well. That way I can use the same system on both cars and get both washed quickly and well. I was able to keep my paint in fair shape without a paint coating but it did require some maintenance.

I am waiting for the pressure washer, foam cannon and blower recommendations to start appearing in the thread . They make the process almost fun, at least until that novelty wears off as well. Edit: I stand corrected, they have been mentioned already but I do like my home set up.

Last edited by GeorgeR; 03-17-2016 at 08:23 PM.. Reason: See last sentence
Appreciate 0